Heating Plate Starter Kit for Chicks
- Regular price $158.80
A basic brooder kit that is warmed with a heating plate. Heating plates warm at the base to simulate a hen keeping chicks warm and cozy beneath her feathers. As the chicks grow, use the adjustable legs to increase the height of the plate above the bedding and chicks.
This starter kit includes everything the flockmaster needs to set up a small brooder for up to 24 chicks: Heat source, reusable brooder panels, feeder, waterer, chick stand and starter feed.
The underside of the heating plate is warm, but not hot—the chicks go under the plate so it almost touches their backs. This is similar to how a mother hen keeps her chicks warm.
Advantages over a heat lamp:
- Uses much less electricity. Only 22 watts (66 for the larger plate) vs 175 or 250 watts for a heat lamp.
- Less risk of fire because of the much lower surface temperature (125°).
- A hen keeps chicks warm beneath a heat source. So does a heat plate.
The rugged plate cover prevents older chicks from perching on top and fouling the unit with droppings. However, the plate can be hand-washed to remove dust and debris.
- Heating Plate, small
- Heating Plate Cover, small
- Reuseable Brooder Panels, 7 qty
- Chick Stand
- Classic Waterer, 0.4 gal
- Saturn 3 Feeder, 3 lbs
- New Country Organics Poultry Starter Feed, 10 lbs